FROM 3D TO THE CURRENT AS-BUILT PLAN
Creation of as-built plans with reality capture
APPLY REALITY CAPTURE TECHNIQUES TO SPEED UP THE CREATION OF YOUR AS-BUILT PLANS. DO NOT MISS DATA OR ACCURACY AND TAKE MEASUREMENTS ONLINE AT ANY TIME.
Sometimes we have to deal with refurbishing and reform projects in which we have obsolete plans and others that we do not even have a basic 2D plan. Before developing our refurbishment project, it is very important to obtain the plans of the current as-built These plans will be a solid and reliable basis to develop your project design and reality capture has turn into a great ally to make it happen.
Málaga Maria Zambrano train station
When having obsolete plans, or even worse, not information at all, we will require a thorough examination of possible plans and taking manual measurements to identify changes over time and update them to reflect the correct status of the asset. This task can be very tedious. we are exposed to making mistakes or omitting some relevant data. To avoid this situation and generate plans with reality capture that are trustful to the current status, it is convenient to start with a 3D scan – point cloud – to generate all plans of the asset.
C2B Viewer viewer view- point cloud format -3D Málaga María Zambrano train station.
Operation process and benefits
Given this scenario, it is necessary to have series of documents that reflect the starting point, i.e. to create current state plans of distribution, elevation and section. We will carry out the following process.
- Scanning and processing: The first step is to scan the building with a reality capture device to create the point cloud and process the captured data to eliminate possible noise or unnecessary data.
- 3D model and floor plan generation: The as-built plan shows the current lay-out of the building, including the dimensions and locations of walls, doors, windows and other elements. It can be generated using CAD or 3D modelling (BIM) software. We prefer the latter, as we will create a digital twin that will allow us to generate all the necessary plans without losing data.
- Review and validation: Finally, the generated plans must be reviewed and validated to ensure their accuracy.
The success of a project is not only derived from having reliable information, but also from being able to share it among all parties involved. We can contribute to the success of the project by using online viewers with the following benefits.
- Communication and decision-making: we get a clearer view of the project and make informed decisions based on real and accurate data that can be consulted remotely.
- Accuracy and efficiency: Work in a more coordinated and efficient way, identifying issues before they happen on site, which can help to reduce errors and delays. We can allow, for example, subcontractors to calculate budgets remotely with information from the digital twin.
- Transparency: Provides clear and realistic expectations to be set for refurbishment projects.
These tools may seem very technical and have been associated with high licensing costs, as with many BIM tools, but with a quick search you will find alternatives for developing measurements and visualization, CAD models and drawings.
C2B Viewer View – 3D Model – Málaga María Zambrano train station.
The use of reality capture techniques such as laser scanning allow us to generate a reliable starting point to create current as-built plans in the most efficient way. If we decide to start from the generation of a 3D model or digital twin, we can always and at any time consult all the information related to the asset/project, and it will allow us to create all types of plans (layout, elevation and section) with a minimum effort. To ensure success, it is very recommendable to use online measurement and visualization tools such as C2B Viewer. This way all parties can collaborate, make proposals and take decisions quicker – no need to visit the construction site-, achieving greater transparency and productivity.
NEW 3D web viewer for BIM, Point clouds and Plans.